Wednesday 6 May 2015

2 Days in New York
Dir: Julie Delpy
2012
****
I have to say I'm so impressed by Julie Delpy. I didn't think 2 days in Paris really warranted a sequel, it was okay but really nothing special. This time, it's 2 days in New York, at first this is all I thought I needed to know to disregard this as a lazy follow up film (same story, different City) but to my surprise it's really good. It's really different too in many ways. Who would be your first choice to replace someone like Adam Goldberg? I'm guessing Chris Rock wouldn't be in the top 5 but here he does a great job - although acting like he doesn't know what the hell is going on probably wasn't too hard here. Story-wise, it's pretty much the same 'translation' comedy but thanks to Albert Delpy's brilliant performance, it is something great rather than another cliche. I liked the odd Vincent Gallo cameo too, it's often bizarre but  I can see where Julie Delpy is coming from and I admire her self-indulgence. Original, odd, funny and likable. Lovable even.

No comments:

Post a Comment