Thursday 26 March 2015



The Voices
Dir: Marjane Satrapi
2015
***
The Voices has split me right down the middle. I love a bit of Black comedy, The Voices is pure Black comedy, but it is completely disjointed and the lines are somewhat blurred. It was a shock to see that Marjane Satrapi of Persepolis fame directed it, not just because of the content but because I thought the directional style was completely amateur. A beautifully framed scene is followed by a moving steady cam shot is followed by shaky camera, pick a style already - cried everyone in the cinema. I was the only one in the cinema, so that's a true story. Ryan Reynolds and Gemma Arterton are two actors who I generally don't like but I was pleasantly surprised by both here and I hope this continues. I loved the talking pets, it is absolutely brilliantly dark and the script is sharp as a knife. It is quirky, for desperate want of another word. I don't want to say it but I can't help myself, a Coen Brother version would have been amazing. I do wonder if it was hoped that this film would appeal to the archetype Coen fan but Coen film it ain't, Satrapi's film is just good. That said, in retrospect it has grown on me somewhat and a repeat viewing is necessary so I give it credit for that. I really did like it, the ending in particular, it does have that certain je ne sais quoi but it just needed to be a little more refined.

No comments:

Post a Comment