Tuesday 31 March 2015

The Railway Children
Dir: Lionel Jeffries
1970
****
A classic British Children's story brought to life in this 1970's adaptation, which itself has become a bit of a classic in its own right. To be honest I was unfamiliar with the story until I saw a brilliant theatre production of this on what was the unused Eurostar platform in London's Waterloo station back in 2010. Now, I liked it but the story is a little dated, it's definitely posh kids literature and when you break down the story and writing it is a little insulting at times - I guess it's just a little old-fashioned but it's totally forgivable. There are some wonderful ideas in the story and as corny as it might be, it's full of tear-jerking moments and is quite famous for it. It's not usually my kind of thing but I'd be lying if I said I didn't really enjoy it. Also, it is directed by the much loved and sadly missed Lionel Jeffries and stars another British legend, the lovely Bernard Gribbins. It's impossible not to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment