Friday 20 March 2015

Lucy
Dir: Luc Besson
2014
****
Lucy is, in my opinion, the first real Luc Besson style Luc Besson film since his beautiful 2005 romance, Angel-A. It's Luc Besson director and it is also Luc Besson writer/producer, as it feels like the complete package - his masterpieces of the 80's and 90's and the action packed thrillers he wrote and produced in the 00's. It didn't received particularly favorable reviews upon its initial release but I think this is down to people overlooking the fact that this is a science fiction story, with fiction being the key word. I loved the idea, even when it got a little silly and over the top. The script was impressive and pretty convincing too, Besson is such a good writer that he can nonsense sound plausible. Scarlett Johansson had a good year, she's great here too and I hope she and Besson work together again (his new Nikita?). So Besson got his brain percentages wrong, big deal, I like a director with original, strange and impossible ideas, Lucy is completely nuts but I think it would have been a horrible film if it had tried to be the least bit sensible and actually, it's not all dumb, I found all lot of it to be thought-provoking and inspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment