Tuesday 31 March 2015

Détective
Dir: Jean-Luc Godard
1985
***
1985's Détective was a high point for Godard after a fairly unsuccessful decade. Visually, he was back and on form, I could see traces of his previous film that I had enjoyed greatly, the colours, the camera control and likable script etc. He also goes back to noir, a style he knows well, overall, Détective is stylishly shot and great to look at. Unfortunately, the muddling stories get confusing and I lost interest half way through, a real example of highs and lows that I find typical and frustrating with Godard's work (he'll never beat Alphaville in my opinion) but then this was a mainstream film to raise money for his more personal films. The lack of passion is unfortunately clear towards the end of the film. Detective lies somewhere in the middle of Godard's varied body of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment