Thursday 19 March 2015

My Girl
Dir: Howard Zieff
1991
*
It's hard to believe that back in 1991 My Girl was such a big hit. Who was the demographic? It can't have made 50 Million + just from young teenage girls surely? Macaulay Culkin was at the height of his popularity at this point, having been in Home Alone the year before (again I still have no idea why he was so popular) but surely this only backed up the fact that he wasn't a very good Child actor!? I could barely understand a word he ever said due to his high pitch and the marbles in his mouth. I know that ladies of all ages found him cute but as a 12 then and as a 36 now (at the time of writing this review), I didn't and still don't. Then again, I'm one of these people who doesn't understand why people like to get kids to kiss each other, or to see them act like adults and speak and dress like them. I'm not in the demographic, I know this, but surely a realistic coming of age film is more helpful to a pre-pubescent child? The last thing a young teen needs is a romantic fantasy that ends in death by Bees, but that's just my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment