Thursday 19 March 2015

What Have I Done to Deserve This?
Dir: Pedro Almodóvar
1984
***
I see Pedro Almodóvar's 1984 film; What Have I Done to Deserve This? as a slightly weaker version of Women on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Different story when it comes to the family situation but essentially the same film. The comedy is fast and furious as you'd expect, Murder, prostitutes, Lizards etc, it is definitely a Pedro Almodóvar film but I would say it was more Billy Wilder than Luis Bunuel on this occasion. I think only someone like Carmen Maura could have pulled it off as the central character though, much like Women on the verge of a nervous breakdown, she really is the glue that holds it together. She does have great support from Chus Lampreave and Veronica Forque too but for me, the humor involving paedophilia cheapen the whole film that little bit too much for my tastes.

No comments:

Post a Comment