Thursday 26 March 2015

Basic Instinct
Dir: Paul Verhoeven
1992
***
The film that broke a million VHS tapes from over use of the pause button. Paul Verhoeven's 1992 controversial hit Basic Instinct had Religious groups, Gay rights activists and even the anti-smoking lobby up in arms over its depiction of homosexuals, aggressive sexual practices, the glamorization of smoking and and scenes of naughtiness. As a 13 year adolescent I had very little problem with it but as an adult I can see the good and the bad. I don't think it does anything that it was accused of, apart from being a bit naughty and a little bit cheap. The suspense is strong and the story is on the acceptable side of 90's cheese (which is a bit like 80's cheese but a little more refined and with smaller hair). It's a solid thriller, if anything the sexy bits get in the way and I'm not just saying that because my wife reads my reviews either.

No comments:

Post a Comment