Friday 6 March 2015

Sex and the City
Dir: Michael Patrick King
2008
**
I felt the film version of Sex and the City was a mistake. What do I know? Well, back in 2004 someone very close to me, a girl, was going through a fairly nasty divorce. I lived with her at the time and worked from home and in my efforts to comfort her I partook in a three week ritual that involved eating lots of cheese toasties and watching the six seasons of Sex and the City in their entirety. Twice. I'll be the first person to say that actually, the the show was pretty good and I enjoyed it (even though it doesn't really empower women at all, quite the opposite in my opinion). The film version however, takes away all of it's foundations and undoes so much great work. They wanted the film to be bigger and better but they forgot about the heart of the show, the characters. It breaks down like this; Steve would never cheat, Stanford & Anthony would never get it on together, Carrie would never have that kind of wedding and Big is not that stupid. I thought the scene whereby Carrie is left alone at the alter and the subsequent argument in the street was thrilling, everything else was just a shadow of the TV series.

No comments:

Post a Comment