Friday 26 June 2015

Old Joy
Dir: Kelly Reichardt
2006
*****
The best way I can describe Old Joy is like this; at points in our lifetimes, our feelings change, simple feelings that effect the very core of what we are, it's part of our growth and development and sometimes it's not particularly very nice. Because it is often unpleasant, it's sometimes preferable that it be whispered in your ear, rather than shoved down your throat. Kelly Reichardt has depicted this perfectly in this short and gentle film. Even when very little is happening, there is always something nice to look at and Daniel London and Will Oldham play their parts with the subtlety and gentleness they require. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I look forward to seeing each film Reichardt brings out as I feel she can do no wrong, each of her films being as wonderful as the next. I also now believe (partly thanks to Reichardt) that every film should have a dog in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment