Wednesday 24 June 2015

What to Expect When You're Expecting
Dir: Kirk Jones
2012
*
Kirk Jones's What to Expect When You're Expecting is beyond awful and is a brilliant advert for contraception but not because the kids were horrible but because some people just don't deserve children and shouldn't reproduce. Calling a Child a Spaz is not nice. The careers of Cameron Diaz, Jennifer Lopez and Chris Rock continue on to slip down that downward slope but in this instance I think it serves them right. I don't have kids, I wish I could afford to but although I don't have any I'm under no illusion that they aren't hard work. To have people who are lucky enough to have them tell the rest of us how tiring parenthood is, at every given moment, is currently the most recurring condescension I experience and it still isn't conjuring any sympathy for them. An unfunny comedy version of a daily slap in the face isn't something I want to watch or enjoyed very much. Enough already, having kids is nothing new, millions of people have done it before you. This is Hollywood tapping into something that has become fashionable, which is an alarming and quite worrying situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment