Monday 22 June 2015

Miss Potter
Dir: Chris Noonan
2007
*****
Apart from the horrible poster and the fact it was marketed a little too much for an American audience, Miss Potter is a fantastic film. I'm not a fan of Renée Zellweger and she certainly wouldn't have been my first choice in the lead role but she does a great job. I only watched this film because it was on TV, I had the same misconceptions as it seems many other people have had, which I think is the reason it's not a highly regarded film, people just haven't given it a chance. I have read reviews that suggest the story is just another 'love story' cliche, that it is too boring a story to adapt into film and that it's just another period drama. None of it is true. I'm not sure what people have against sweet, simple and gentle films, I guess some people just need their action, explosions and violence. In all seriousness though, it goes to show how lazy viewers have got these days. It's easy to mock and make fun of a film like Miss Potter, like I've said, it's done itself no favours as far as marketing goes, but this is a truly wonderful film. The hard-core Potter fans can be a strange bunch and would have you believe that the animation distracted and even cheapened the film but I think it did quite the opposite. If it was up to them we would be living without electricity but I digress, Miss Potter is a wonderful film with real charm and a certain magic that is missing in most contemporary films. Never judge a film by it's poster.

No comments:

Post a Comment