Monday 22 June 2015

Coogan's Bluff
Dir: Don Siegel
1968
**
I always saw Coogan as Dirty Harry's older, less patient and more violent brother. It was fairly successful on release and is still highly regarded, I'm really not too sure why though, as it is no way near as good as the Dirty Harry films, not even the later ones. It's dated quite badly and has very few redeeming features, I'm not too sure what all the fuss is about!? Coogan's Bluff seems like a trial run for a possible new franchise where mistakes were made and lessons were learnt. It's a nice slice of late 60's film but as a refection of life in New York, I don't think it's a very accurate one. Anyone else think that the 'Drug Den' scene looked like it was filmed on an old Batman set? I half expected the word 'Thwack' to appear during the fight scenes, it probably would have been more fun if it had.

No comments:

Post a Comment